Monday, January 10, 2011

Josh, Tahoe, Twins and a new apartment

So it has been 2 months since I made a post, and it has been a whirlwind! Here are some updates/highlights:

Josh
Josh sadly passed away on Dec. 13 from genetic colon cancer. We are all relieved that he is done suffering, but it has been a hard time for everyone who knew him and his family. Jesse, Ella and I booked our flights to the east coast for the funeral held on Dec. 19. It was a very hard time, but it was so good to see our family again, and to be with everyone during that time. The funeral was very touching, and a beautiful celebration of Josh's life. I wanted to post what Jesse said at the funeral. When Jesse showed me what he wrote for the service, I thought it was one of the most beautiful things I've read, and really opened a window into his relationship with Josh:

To Josh: 

I cannot think of my childhood without you
You were in every memory, every thought, every time
You required more attention than I, though I never held a grudge
Your creativity was unmatched; you were ahead of your time

You gave by simply being, your ideas were hilarious
You never criticized me
Creativity is all that mattered in your club
Outside the box is where you lived and thrived

OCD could not contain you, Schizophrenia did not define you
Your mind was truly a beautiful thing, always charming and discerning
Right and wrong, moral dilemmas, areas we like to make black and white
You tackled and discussed at length, a model for using our hearts and minds
You didn’t just want “a new law”

Boredom did not exist with you around, it simply could not
I admit sometimes I would zone out, you were often way over my head
You were easily discounted, misinterpreted and confused
For something far worse than you were

Often frustrated, seldom truly heard, and frequently misunderstood
So logical, too logical for your own good, you’d miss the simplistic
You always beat me in the proverbs game, you bum
You never desired any fanfare, for anything at all
Good discussion, feedback, engaging conversation is what you valued

I see it better now, I see you better now
I love you Josh, Do you have to go?

Lara and I recently read a book entitled Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo. It’s a quick read and highlights the true story account of Todd’s son Colton and his trip to heaven while undergoing an emergency appendectomy. Colton was three at the time, but is able to relay details about heaven including Jesus, brilliant colors, and meeting relatives he had never met before. Colton’s matter of fact statements about the realities of heaven are told with such fervor and innocence, he convinces even the most skeptical reader. Lara and I finished reading this book about 12 hours before Josh passed away. We went to sleep with pictures of heaven in our mind and awoke on the morning of Dec 13. to the news of Josh’s passing. God has blessed Lara and I with such a vivid image of heaven through the reading of this book. We feel like God used this story to prepare our hearts and better understand that Josh is with his Savior, without paranoia, skepticism, or questioning if he has done enough. I want to conclude with a common yet powerful passage of scripture. Revelation 21:1-6


Tahoe
When we returned from the funeral on Dec. 22, we had a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit. We had planned a small 3 night trip to Lake Tahoe as a "getaway" for the three of us as a respite from the big changes in our lives. It was a wonderful, rejuvenating trip that refreshed us. The scenery was some of the most spectacular I've ever seen. It was gorgeous!!




 

Twins
So many of you know, we found out we are having twins in May. This has been an utter surprise to Jesse and I.  There are things that you picture yourself doing or having, and twins was not one of them! But we are both very excited, and are trusting that God will keep us secure in his hands through this new time.

As a funny aside, my one rule/motto for having kids has always been, "I just don't want to have 2 in diapers." Hahahahaha...isn't it ironic? We had an ultrasound on Friday, and both babies are healthy and moving like crazy!! And....though it's no guarantee, we saw what looked like a boy!!! (In 2 weeks we are going to Oakland for an "official" ultrasound...so stay posted!!

Apartment
Okay, so my last piece of news is that we found an apartment! We are in newspaper and cardboard boxes up to our eyebrows, and trying to find anything has been a major test in brainpower and patience. I will post pics of the process soon.

Thank you for all the prayers! They are certainly getting us through this time.
Lara

3 comments:

  1. Lara,

    Thanks for sharing, friend. I pray that this spring brings you all restoration of heart with the arrival to these two special blessings! The sweet snowman ornament you painted me in college was one of Eli's favorites this Christmas. Probably because he can say "no man". It was a daily reminder to lift you up this Christmas season. With love and a hug! ~Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you! I always love reading about all you're doing and thinking. I, too, will always treasure what Jesse shared at Josh's funeral; thanks for including that here. Hoping to see apartment pics soon!?! Much love. ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing a piece of your life with us! I miss you! I hope the rest of your pregnancy continues to go well, how exciting that there may be a boy in there! Congrats on the new place, too!

    I am so sorry for the loss of Jesse's brother. Hugs to all of you during this hard time.

    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete