Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Re-orientation

Moving back to the Bay Area has not been like riding a bike...I didn't just snap my fingers and I'm picking up life where it left off.
 I haven't lived in this area in eight years, and wow, did I forget a lot! Even street names have been difficult to recall. I drive by stores and say, "Oh yea! I remember that!" Well, actually I didn't remember that; in fact, I don't remember a lot, and it seems Jesse may have a better time navigating this area than I will.
So while Jesse is orienting himself to the area, the new stores, banks, gas stations, short cuts, I am re-orienting myself to the friends and faces I knew, the memories I have, and my favorite hang-out spots.
I'm seeing this area in a whole new way. In high school I was interested in, let's see....my school, the mall, and cheap food. Other than that, I'm surprised at how little I know the area. A nice place to eat? I have no idea.... Nice aparment complexes? Couldn't name one... I know the places my family frequented, but I don't have memories on my own.
So as Jesse orients himself with classes, I am having my own orientation lesson, and it is taking longer than I thought!
The great thing about my forgetfulness is that the Bay Area has a newness that I wasn't expecting. I'm re-discovering it, yet I feel like I am discovering it for the first time. How very exciting!

3 comments:

  1. Love the name of your blog!! Life as a Winn is never dull, huh? Missing you SO much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. John-Paul asked me if Ella could join him for his bath last night...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lara! I'd have to say the same for the Bay Area, it can be tricky! I had a much easier time learning to navigate Colorado than all the time I had growing up in the Bay!
    Good to see you in blog-land! Check mine out at http://thegiffordsplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete